Free advertising for your Joomla business

Question CORS, Joomla tags and custom CSS files: ideas for May 2015 meeting

• sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #91 by sozzled
I hope we have a CJUG meeting in May.

I have been having a world of fun recently with using the Joomla tags feature. This feature has been around since J! 3.1—I just haven't had the time to use it—and it's probably the best idea out of the Joomla project in a long, long time. I will be sure to include Joomla tags in all new websites that I build in future.

"Cross-origin resource sharing" ( CORS ) may sound dull (and it's certainly not easy to follow the hundreds of guides that exist on the internet) but, if you understand a little about how it can be used, you may be interested to see what it can be used for.

I cannot recall a week going by when I haven't read somewhere, "which file do I change if I want to apply my own CSS tweaks to a Joomla extension?" We have had some fascinating discussions about using .LESS, and so forth, but if someone would be interested in a low-key talk about what is a good, practical, way to answer that question, I would be happy to participate in that discussion.

So, there you have it. I have three ideas for topics that I could give presentations to the group at our next meeting:
  1. Fun with Joomla tags
  2. A simple, practical application using CORS in Joomla
  3. How to build a custom CSS file in Joomla

Read my blog and
File Attachment:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #92 by Laurie
G'day there Sozzled!

I'd be interested on a talk on using tags. There must be much more I can do with tags than a related posts module.

Looks like it should be possible to create a sort of pseudo navigation using tags.

If the May CJUG meeting is to be cancelled, I'd really appreciate a few days notice. I've organized my outback trip around attending the meeting on the way to South Australia.

It's 21 hours drive and I'd rather pull out from home an hour before daylight, go over the mountains and sleep about four hours beyond Mildura the first night, leaving only seven hours driving the second day and get my camp set up in daylight.

Regards,
Laurie.

• sozzled
More
4 years 7 months ago #95 by sozzled

Laurie wrote: I'd be interested on a talk on using tags. There must be much more I can do with tags than a related posts module.

Absolutely. I would be delighted to share some of what I have learnt about the tags feature.

Tags are—in a word—great!

Good suggestion to compare tags with the old "related articles" module.

I have contacted Rene and I expect that the meeting next Tuesday will be on. She will send out a meeting reminder/invitation in a couple of days.

Not that I haven't enjoyed some of our recent meetings where we've had "product demonstrations"—all good and I've learnt a lot from those—but it's nice to be able to get back to discussing what's in the Joomla core and how people can make use of those built-in features to improve their websites.

I will be spending the next couple of days putting together presentations about tags, adding a custom style sheet to a Joomla template, and CORS. I think there will be something for everyone.

Read my blog and
File Attachment:

• sozzled
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #96 by sozzled
I have prepared three talks that I can give at our next meeting (although not necessarily in the following order):

1. Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) "101"

Suppose you want to use your website to pull data from another website? This presentation discusses CORS and how to build a simple application that allows you to achieve the objective.

2. Fun with Joomla tags

Joomla tags have been around since J! 3.1. This presentation discusses:

• What kinds of things you can use Joomla tags with
  • How to create and manage tags
  • Different ways of displaying tags
  • Tags or categories?
Concludes with a practical demonstration

3. How to build a custom CSS file

One of the most common questions I get is "What CSS file should I change ...?" (for all kinds of reasons) for a particular Joomla extension. This discussion presents a few ideas along with a walkthrough of building your own file of custom CSS tweaks for your Joomla website.

Read my blog and
File Attachment:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds